Saturday, September 20, 2014

Christmas Tree Stars

When I look at punch shapes I almost never see the intended shape at first glance. When I saw SU's new Tree punch I first saw a wonderful, large arrow before I saw the outline of a fir tree.
The stamps that match this punch intrigued me so I added the set to my last SU order.

Once I had it in my hands and punched a few trees I immediately thought of building a star from the triangles. That is how this large star ornament came to be.

 
Sorry, it's not the best photo. The star is rather large (around 9" in diameter); a little bigger than I had anticipated. It's still rather nice though and I think it will make a great gift topper.
 
A full star requires 18 punched tree shapes with the trunk cut off. I cut a large 4" diameter circle from scrap cardstock and used this to attach the centre pieces to. I then attached a little strip to the back of each outer section so I could glue the "points" on. I used my SU Scoreboard to score the centre of each point and in between each point to slightly fold and add dimension. I cut a flower (Tattered Florals - Tim Holtz - Sizzix) from silver mesh and a small snowflake (Festive Flurry Framelits - SU) to the centre. I finished the ornament off with a 3/4" white button and a large rhinestone. A piece of silver organza ribbon was attached so it can be hung (would look great over a door knob).

Once I had this ornament completed I thought a partial star would look amazing on a Christmas card.
So I proceeded to make these three. The first two are 5.5 x 5.5" and the last is a large 5.5 x 8.25" card. 

 
Supplies used:
Cardstock: Bazzill
Ink: Marina Mist, Night of Navy - SU
Stamps: Wondrous Wreath - SU, Festival of Trees - SU
Punch: Tree - SU
Misc.: foam mounting squares, various sizes of rhinestones

 
Supplies used:
Cardstock: Bazzill
Ink: Crushed Curry, Cherry Cobbler - SU
Stamps: Greetings of the Season - SU, Festival of Trees - SU
Punch: Tree - SU
Misc.: foam mounting squares, various sizes of rhinestones


Supplies used:
Cardstock: Bazzill
Ink: Perfect Plum, Smokey Slate, Basic Gray - SU
Stamps: Bright & Beautiful - SU, Festival of Trees - SU
Punch: Tree - SU
Misc.: foam mounting squares, various sizes of rhinestones

1 comment :

  1. I love what you made with the new Tree punch!!! Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...