Saturday, September 24, 2016

Stamped artwork

As you may recall, we are undergoing renovations (for way too long already). The latest room we've been working on is the dining room. We are almost finished, just need to hang the new ceiling fixture/chandelier and paint the French door white.

Before the renovations started I had an ugly painting hanging on one wall and the rest were bare. Suffice it to say I was not happy with the look. I decided that the long wall needed some picture rails and art work, along with a large clock in the center. I found the clock I liked rather quickly but had a tough time when it came to artwork as I was looking for a specific colour scheme.

I finally gave up looking and figured I'd be happier with something I created myself.
I purchase 8 small (8 x 10") blank canvases at my local Dollarama.
Then I went to my little craft room pulling out various supplies that could help me create some artwork to fill up the picture rails. I found several scrapbook papers in the right colours that would work rather well along with some wonderful foam stamps I had purchased ages ago for scrapbooking and an entire drawer full of Making Memories paints as well as my unused stash of Tim Holtz and Club Scrap stencils.

The first set of canvases (4) were decoupaged with scrapbook papers and set aside overnight to dry.
The next day I chose several foam stamps with scroll/flourish designs and using brown paint stamped the images onto the decopage canvases. I also added a word to each canvas using large foam letter stamps. Once the paint was dry I finished the canvas edge by wrapping it with some natural coloured jute scoring the ends with a bit of glue form a glue gun.



The four remaining canvases were painted using acrylic paints in similar colours as the decoupage scrapbook papers. Once dry I used my stash of stencils to paint random designs in coordinating colours. I am honestly not 100% happy with two of them, although my daughter stated they look fine in the finished grouping.



Here is a look at my finished wall.


I think the paintings turned out rather nice and my investment, other than what I already had in my stash, was a whole $8 for the canvases. I consider this project a success and think in future  I may again dig into my craft stash to create some home décor.

Supplies used:
blank canvases
Patterned paper: Karen Foster 12x12": Antique Gold, Harvest Blend, Yellow Garden,
                           ScrapEase 12x12": Fossil Relief Green
Acrylic paints: Making Memories scrapbook paints
Foam stamps: Making Memories: Corners, Floral, Dingbats, Jersey upper case
Stencils: May 2006 Flowers, October 2003 Bricks, Novembor 2005 Memoir Scroll- Club Scrap,
              Rays, Clockwork -Tim Holtz
Misc.: foam paint brush, foam dauber, jute, glue gun

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you again soon. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...