Monday, August 17, 2015

Simple Shaker Card

I remember shakers being all the rage about 15 years ago. I made them filled with metallic confetti, seed beads, punch outs, shrinky dink creations ... you name it I tried it.
Then they got old and I put away my confetti and such to never give them a second thought again.

Well recently I've been seeing more and more shakers on cards so I thought I'd incorporate them into mine once again.

I was puzzling over what to fill it with though. I tried sequins (which seems to be the go-to-filler these days), but found it was getting stuck to the foam tape edges and didn't look very nice.
I have to note here that I currently only have 1/16" foam tape and for a proper shaker needed to layer it. This is not the best idea. As hard as I tried there were sticky edges in the layers.
Of course I had the same results with the metallic confetti (and I still have a ton of this in various themes (wedding, fall, baby....).

I must have pulled apart my card 3 or more times to change out the content and wasn't happy with any of it.  I then decided to look through my abundant stash of embellishments. And what do you know, I came across a large jar of those tiny clear micro beads (no holes). I've had these for more than 12 years, gathering dust. I used to stamp images and then cover it with the beads for a unique glass effect. But the results were rather heavy, so I haven't used them in forever.

I decided to use a small scoop of these, and guess what, I love how this turned out and I love how the beads roll inside the shaker. I doubt I am the first to use them for this purposes but to me it is a new and versatile solutions for these old micro beads. And to top it off, they are clear so the image I stamped inside the shaker can still be seen no matter where the beads are. Win, win if you ask me. You can bet I will be making more shakers filled with these beads.

So without any further ado here is the card I made.



I kept it somewhat simple so the focus is on my shaker, which contains the greeting.
Now although the shaker is shaped, my "box" is a simple square behind the cut out.


Supplies used:
Cardstock: Recollections white, Bazzill colours
Stamps: You're Lovely - SU, Kinda Eclectic - SU
Die: Deco sables Framelits - SU
Punches: banner punch - SU, 1 1/4" square - SU (for large banner tails)
Embossing folder: Cloudy Day - SU
Alcohol markers: Copic: Y21, Y23, YR02, Blendabilities by SU- Skintone and Old Olive
Ink: Memento - Tuxedo Black, Soft Sky, Tangelo Twist, So Safron, Old Olive - SU
Misc.: Acetate, Foam mounting tape, clear micro beads

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you again soon.

4 comments :

  1. Love your shaker card, and the clear beads are perfect. Glad you kept them all these years right?!!! That's why I keep stuff for years too, I'll use it one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always so intimidated by shaker cards. Always afraid I'm going to mess it up and waste supplies. Which is so crazy because I sure have alot of stuff I could waste! LOL Great looking card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your shaker card, and the idea to use the non- hole clear beads. I have a few of those as well. Pretty color combo : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...