Sunday, August 4, 2013

Metallic Snowflake Card

The other day I came across a great tutorial on creating cards and card candy (accents) using aluminium tape. I've used aluminium tape before but not exactly like this. I was very intrigued.
The tutorial can be found here
 
I'm not quite as talented as the creator of that tutoril but I thought I'd give  it my best try. I can say for sure it was an awful lot of fun.
 
So far I have made 3 cards using this technique. The first 2 are very masculine (was kind of a given). Which I will share later this week. After makign those I wonderd if this would work for winter themed cards. So I gave it a try.
 
This is what I ended up with:
 
 
 
I quite like it, although I do understand not everyone would want this metallic look for Christmas.
In fact I revised the card a bit during my work process as my original design just didn't feel right.
 
First let's go through some basic supplies that will really aid in working with the metallic foil tape.
- A good pair of scissors
- a small stylus
- metal texture tools for added detail (I couldn't resist and bought the Walnut Hollow kit, image below)
- cardboard shapes of choice
- magic mesh or drywall mesh
- acrylic paint, alcohol inks or metallic paints
 
This is the kit I used, the tools can be purchased seperately as well:

 
 
For this card I punched 2 large snowflakes (Nankong and SU) from a cereal box back, and the medium snowflake (EK) twice from cardstock scraps and then layered them for the right thickness.
I then adhered to my cardstock backing, which has been embossed with the perfect polka dots embossing folder by SU.


 
As you can see in the above I had an embossed greeting on my card front as well, but later decided "peace' just didn't fit with the overall look.
I used a combination of cerulean blue acrylic paint and Adirondack Tom Holtz black alcohol ink.
 
The card front was attached to a white card base. I dressed it up with ribbon (charcoal grey and turquoise blue each 1" wide) and a little silver mesh. The greeting is by SU (Greetings of the Season) and the ink used is Sapphire Blue Pigment ink by Colorbox. 

 

 

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...